Though we have yet to celebrate Halloween, retailers have decked their aisles with holiday goods and begun releasing special deals for the season. In fact, Target just announced a new incentive and is offering free shipping on all holiday items with no minimum purchase required starting today through December 20th. This offer comes at a crucial time as this big-box retailer looks to boost sales and bounce back from a rocky year.
Shipping costs are a big deterrent when it comes to making an online purchase and that’s why Target’s latest offer is getting a lot of buzz. As they look for new ways to compete with online retailers like Amazon, such shipping promotions give the store a competitive edge. While this is great news for online shoppers who can now avoid the delivery charge at Target, not all e-retailers will offer the same deal.
If you’re looking beyond Target for any of your holiday needs, there are other ways to save on shipping costs. Check out a few of my tips:
- Look for free shipping coupons. Search the retailer name with the term “free shipping code” or go directly to your favorite coupon site like Coupon Sherpa or FreeShipping.org to find a code to enter at checkout.
- Call customers service or chat with a live online sales representative. Often these customer service associates may be able to share a free shipping offer or waive the fee for a one-time courtesy.
- Opt for free site-to-store shipping. Many retailers like Best Buy offer free shipping to a store location of your choice and orders can be ready within an hour.
- Sign up for free trials of Amazon Prime and ShopRunner. You’ll get 30 days to test these two-day shipping services for free during the holiday season. Just make sure to cancel before the trial period is up to avoid the charge.
- Price match for free shipping. If you found a great deal for a specific good at an online retailer who charges a shipping fee, find one that offers free shipping and see if they’ll match the lower price you found initially.
- Mark your calendar for Free Shipping Day. On Thursday, December 18, hundreds of online retailers will participate in this popular online holiday shopping event and offer free shipping with no minimum order and guaranteed delivery by Christmas Eve.
- Review the return policies. You don’t want to get stuck paying to send an online purchase back to the retailer. Make sure the store offers free returns or accepts returns at their brick-and-mortar location.
- Negotiate. If you’re buying a big ticket item during this holiday season like an appliance or TV, haggle with the sales associate and ask if he or she can provide you with free delivery.
- Abandon your online cart. You may find a coupon code from the online store trying to entice you to complete your order. Why not give it a try?
Do shipping fees play a role in whether you make an online order? How do you save on shipping?
Save for the things that matter
Without giving up the things you love
Want your family’s financial future to feel safe and secure? Download my Easy Family Budget Worksheet and take control of your family’s finances in just 10 minutes!