I finally got around to packing up my holiday decor and although most of the seasonal remnants are tucked away until next year, there is one element of the holidays still lingering–my credit card bill. I tried really hard to stick to my budget but, like many, I overdid it. Luckily, I put aside some extra cash and will be able to pay down the bill in full to avoid interest charges. I realize not everyone is in this same position. Though debt can be scary, turning your back on it and pretending it doesn’t exist will lead to an even scarier financial situation. Now is the perfect time to get a hold of your credit card bills–it’s a new year and you can direct your resolution to spend less and save more toward paying down that debt quickly. While spending less on everyday essentials will ensure you have wiggle room in your monthly income to tackle credit card bills, you should also look for ways to boost your budget. Any extra cash you put towards paying down debt along with your regular monthly payments will save you hundreds of dollars on potential interest fees.
While taking on side hustles is a great way to increase your income and pay down debt faster (check out this long list of ways to make extra money from Budget’s Are Sexy), I understand that not everyone has time to work extra hours. That’s why I put together this list of websites that offer unique and simple ways to boost your budget.
See my suggestions below:
- Sell old gadgets like smartphones, GPS systems and video games at Gazelle.com & NextWorth.com.
- Those who received gift cards for stores or restaurants they don’t like, can get cash for those gift cards at GiftCardGranny.com. You can expect to get paid anywhere from 70 to 92% of the value of that unwanted gift card.
- RecycleYourFashions.com & thredup.com are second-hand clothing sites where you can make money on unwanted threads.
- MySurvey.com & Swagbucks.com provide opportunities to get paid for taking online surveys, watching ads and more.
- If you have a car that doesn’t get used during the weekday or on weekends, consider renting it via Getaround.com. The site includes insurance for renters so you don’t have to worry about damage liability.
- VRBO.com & AirBnB.com connect you with travelers looking to rent a room or entire home for short periods of time. Set nightly or weekly rates.
- Check TaskRabbit.com for small, odd jobs around town. You can find gigs as simple as walking a dog and grocery shopping to more complex requests like building Ikea furniture and sorting files.
- Elance.com connects you with individuals or businesses looking for your professional services on a contractual basis, like marketing, writing or IT.
If you need more help digging yourself out of debt, check out ReadyForZero. They offer an online tool that helps consumers manage debt all in one place. You create a customized plan while the tool shows you the fastest way to become debt free while minimizing interest charges.
Save for the things that matter
Without giving up the things you love
Want your family’s financial future to feel safe and secure? Download my Easy Family Budget Worksheet and take control of your family’s finances in just 10 minutes!