More Americans than ever are expected to travel this spring. While planning ahead is key to saving on travel, finding accommodation deals at the last minute is possible.
Here are seven simple tips to save on last-minute hotel bookings.
1. Use your smartphone. Download the HotelTonight app for last-minute luxury accommodation up to 70% off. The app aggregates unsold rooms at high-end hotels and provides cut-rate prices to users.
2. Purchase someone’s unwanted reservations. Check RoomerTravel.com to connect with travelers who are stuck with a reservation they can’t cancel and willing to sell and transfer the reservation at a discount.
3. Get with the program. Join the hotel company’s free loyalty program for deals, freebies and perks. For instance, Best Western Rewards members can save 10% or more and earn points for free nights in the future while hotels.com offers a free night after 10 stays to loyalty users.
4. Stay midweek. You don’t have to go away for an entire week. Most hotels offer a significant discount on rates starting on Sunday through Thursday. Added bonus: the pool, restaurants and spas will be less busy and offer deals.
5. Look for inclusive deals. Free breakfast, Wifi and parking are big perks that should be considered when comparing hotel rates as those daily fees can add up quickly depending on the length of your stay. A family of four can save nearly $40/day by opting for a hotel with free breakfast.
6. Negotiate on a home rental. If you find last-minute availability through VRBO or HomeAway, haggle with the homeowner for a cheaper price. He or she will be motivated to negotiate in fear of missing out on the last-minute booking.
7. Snag a coupon code. Hotels and airlines don’t regularly offer coupons, but you may get lucky finding codes for third-party booking sites. For instance, Coupon Sherpa offers $30 off $250 or $50 off $400 at HotelWiz.
How do you save on hotel bookings or last-minute travel?
Save for the things that matter
Without giving up the things you love
Want your family’s financial future to feel safe and secure? Download my Easy Family Budget Worksheet and take control of your family’s finances in just 10 minutes!